Over the past few weeks we have been through a redundancy round at Human Made for the first time ever and some amazing people have left the company. I wanted to talk about this openly for two reasons:
- These are amazing people who are leaving through no fault of their own and whom we want to support in whatever next step they take.
- Human Made has built a strong reputation based on working transparently and openly as a part of the WordPress community and we have learned lots from others who share openly too.
In the spirit of sharing openly and in-case it’s useful to others in our space, here is the redundancy support we offered:
- Minimum notice period of 4 weeks + 1 week for each year past 2.
- 2 weeks pay on-top of notice.
- Pay unused vacation days accrued until you finish work.
- Cover healthcare until March 31st.
- Inflation raises due during notice periods will be honoured.
- You can keep your company devices.
- We’ll do everything we can to help you find a new job.
As part our outplacement we’re hoping to connect folks leaving with opportunities elsewhere, if you’re reading this and you’re hiring then I’d love the opportunity to share your open roles with the folks impacted and make warm recommendations, etc.
This has been a tough few weeks, particularly for those leaving who now face an uncertain future. It’s also been tough for the rest of company, this is not situation we wanted to be in and even with the wider economic headwinds the industry is facing, there are also important lessons for us to learn.
That said, Human Made is in a strong position with significant strengths, we have a world-class team, deep relationships with amazing clients, and a proven track record. I am confident in ourselves and our future, and about the future for Enterprise WordPress more broadly.
I am also really excited about the opportunities the year ahead presents; in just a few weeks we will be at WordCamp Asia where we’re running a satellite event designed to bring the Enterprise WordPress community together. A goal for this year is to take some concrete steps which build on interest and momentum which started before Christmas around ways we can collaborate more strongly as an Enterprise WordPress community to grow the space for us all.